The North Country Center for Independence (NCCI) is seeking a Housing Specialist for a statewide pilot program to provide housing subsidies to individuals transitioning or diverting from institutional settings to the community. The Olmstead Housing Subsidy (OHS) program is a project of the New York Association on Independent Living funded by the NYS Department of Health.
• Identify housing opportunities for individuals who are in need of housing in order to leave a nursing home, as well as for those who have unstable housing after leaving a nursing home.
• Assist eligible Olmstead Housing Subsidy participants through all steps necessary for enrollment, including: filling out housing applications, obtaining household goods and/or support for moving expenses, arranging unit inspections, etc.
• Work with applicants and/or his/her Transition Specialist, Service Coordinator (SC), Nursing Home Discharge Planner, Care Manager (CM), natural support, or advocate in order to ensure that a support services plan is in place for program enrollment.
• Conduct follow-up after subsidy is initiated including but not limited to verifying occupancy of unit and continued eligibility for program.
• Work to identify landlords, public housing, and private housing in the region which may be suitable for individuals enrolled in the OHS program in the future.
• Maintain a list of available housing in the region, including degree of accessibility, location, proximity to services, and rental costs.
• Track and report on all activities using the statewide project database.
• Professional experience in housing, community organizing, Independent Living, long term care, and/or disability rights strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of state and local housing policies, practices, laws and issues impacting seniors and people with disabilities preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Excellent organizational and computer skills; energetic self-starter; ability to travel in NYC and possibly nearby regions.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the position may be substituted.
• Personal experience with disability a plus.
Salary: $28,000 per year (full time position) and benefits package available
PLEASE E - MAIL A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Robert Poulin at email@example.com
We conform to all laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.