Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program

The Consumer-Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) is a Medicaid program that gives consumers more control over how they get home care. It allows the you to choose a care giver, rather than having one assigned by a health care provider.

To qualify for CDPAP a you must be Medicaid-eligible and have a medical need for physical assistance with regular self-care. Once enrolled in the program, you, or an approved surrogate, will manage your own care by hiring, training and supervising your own Personal Assistants. If necessary, you will be able to replace your assistant with another PA of your choice.

Who Can be a CDPAP Personal Assistant?

You can hire any adult to be your Personal Assistant, except for a spouse, a parent of a child under 21, or a legal guardian. Other family members, such as an adult child, a son or daughter-in-law, or parent of a child over 21, are eligible to provide care as a Personal Assistant. PAs are trained by you or a surrogate to perform services usually provided by personal care aides, home health aides, and even some skilled nursing services, like giving medication and injections.

Getting Started

Contact the North Country Center for Independence for full details on how to enroll in the CDPAP program. Once enrolled, you will be able to start interviewing possible Personal Assistants. You may hire as many PAs as you feel you need, as long as their hours are approved by Medicaid. Once the person you select finishes an enrollment package and passes a medical exam, you will be able to hire and train them as your new PA.

You are not responsible for paying your PAs. CDPAP personal assistants are independent contractors whose wages and benefits are paid by a third party contracted by the North Country Center for Independence (NCCI).

Program Support

The North Country Center for Independence provides support for consumers in the CDPAP program. NCCI provides program guidelines and information on the PA hiring process, including training and supervision of PAs. NCCI also takes care of Medicaid billing, payroll processing, and health insurance and benefits for your PAs.

For more information, or to ask about enrollment, call 518-563-9058, Ext. 117.

  • CDPAP referrals: Ext: 117

  • If you are a current CDPAP Consumer - Ext. 117

  • If you are interested in being a CDPAP Consumer - Ext. 117

  • If you want to be on our Personal Assistance aide list - Ext. 115

  • Time sheet issues - Ext. 112

  • Payroll issues - Ext. 112

  • Enrolling a new Personal Assistant - Ext. 115